Monday, June 29, 2009

Thank goodness for Google Maps


You know, I was sitting in the sunshine on the front steps of the State Library today and I got to thinking about Google. Google have managed to really revolutionise many of the things we do on the Web - much like Steve Jobs and Apple have revolutionised the design world. But while Apple's ability to design is amazing, Google keep things plain and simple - often even ugly. And yet they've made such an impact on the world.


When I actually ponder on the subject, I realise just how often I use Google's services - not just web searching but Google Maps (I have a pretty good sense of direction, but every now and then it comes in handy - you know like when you wake up in some random hotel room after a big night out and realise you have exactly 15 minutes to get into your dinner suit and onto the red carpet at Crown for that important film premiere... yep, I've been in that situation one too many times), and Google Docs (I use it for all of my collaborative song writing efforts - sometimes Rihanna gets a bit pushy with wanting me to fix up her song lyrics though).

I had a go at Google Books too - was hopeful maybe I'd have more luck with 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep' but seems Phillip K Dick is still too far in copyright for me to access the whole thing. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment