Tuesday, June 30, 2009

RSS


I've had a bloglines acount for quite a long time now. At some stage I ended up with way too many RSS feeds to actually keep up with, and decided to migrate across to Google Reader instead.


The main benefit I find with Google Reader is that my colleages also use it and can share items that they find to be of interest. Like Kanye is always sharing photos of Megan Fox.


Here's a handy tip for those of you who may not already know: you can create 'vanity searches' in Bloglines too - for example, do a search for your blog's URL and then save that search in your feeds. Every time you visit it, you can see a list of all the other blogs linking to or mentioning your blog. Good measure of how popular you are, and of what the blogosphere is saying about you.
Amazing how far technology has come - here's a picture of me researching WW2 history using microfiche reader to look up old newspaper articles about Hitler. Can you even imagine if all that stuff was available via RSS??

No comments:

Post a Comment